Effortless Bean Recipe
Black beans, red beans, pinto beans or legumes to encompass them all, also known as the "musical fruit" have a reputation for causing gas and sometimes indigestion. That's because beans have galacto-oligosaccharides that are indigestible or hard to absorb that ferment in the gut and cause gas. But hey, they don't have to! There are two things you need to do in order to improve their digestibility:
- Soak them for at least 8 hours or overnight and
- Boil them with epazote also known as wormseed.
Woohoo! Problem solved!
This is a simple recipe for beans that can be eaten as they are or added to other dishes. Try frying them in some hot vegetable oil and onion and smashing them to create a delicious black creamy spread, or simply add rice and avocado, mix and devour.
- 1 lb. bean of choice (black beans, red beans, pinto beans)
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1 epazote stem (wormseed)
- 2 tablesoons salt
- Boiling water
1. Soak the beans overnight making sure to add enough water for them to absorb.
2. Drain the beans and add them to a quart pot, fill the pot with water leaving about an inch space at the top
3. Bring water to a boil and then add garlic, onion, epazote and salt. Return water to a boil and then lower to a simmer. Simmer with a lid on for 60 - 90 minutes