Healthy Vegan Buddha Plate
What makes it a Buddha Bowl? Healthy grains, legumes and vegetables; a large serving that resembles Buddha's round belly.
This insanely healthy, nutritious and tasty meal will leave you feeling perfectly satisfied, not too heavy and leave you with plenty of energy to burn through the day.
What's awesome about Buddha Bowls is that you can mix and match the veggies of your liking, just be sure to use bright vegetables that vary in color to make it as nutritious as possible.
* There is an easy way and a slightly more laborious way. The more laborious way requires making the garbanzo beans from scratch. I will add a recipe for these soon.
Here's my variation. It serves 4
-1 cup short grain brown rice
- 1/4 onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
-1 cup garbanzo bean or 1 - 15 oz can
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove
- dash of vegetable oil
-2 large sweet potatoes (oiled and sprinkled with paprika)
-1 spinach bundle
-1/4 red cabbage
-1/4 red onion
-1 red bell pepper
-4 Persian cucumbers
-1/2 cup tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- dash of maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
1. Open the can of garbanzo beans, drain them and place them in a small cooking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, cayenne and garlic powder. Put them in the toaster oven for 60 minutes so that they get crunchy.
2. Measure out 1 cup of rice and rinse it to remove excess starch. In a quart pot add 2.5 cups of water and place on stove at high heat until it boils. After it boils, add 1 cup rinsed rice, 1/4 diced onion and 1 teaspoon of salt. Allow to come to a boil again and then lower to a simmer with the lid on and the spout closed. Do not open it until you have to check it within 40-45 minutes. You know it is done when the rice has absorbed all of the water.
3. Wash and peel the sweet potatoes. Toss with vegetable oil, a bit of salt and paprika and then place them on a cooking sheet or iron skillet in a single layer. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
4. Chop the spinach, Persian cucumber, red bell pepper, red cabbage, red onion and avocado.
5. In a blender add 1/2 cup tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, salt, maple syrup and 1/4 cup water if needed to help blend it and to dilute to your desired consistency.
6. Place all the ingredients into a bowl or plate and enjoy!